Monday, April 10, 2017

Healing your way to writing success!

April A to Z Blogging Challenge, hosted here.

My theme this year is exploring the link between mental health and creativity. See my stance on this here.


 H is for Healing    

In order to be the best creator you can be--to be able to fully access all of yourself and write from your heart and soul--you need to be on firm footing. The sterotypical moody, angsty, chain-smoking alcoholic writer is not accessing their true potential. Sure, you might feel that gives you a deep well of emotion to draw from, but take my word for it, that well won't dry up if you take care of yourself. Working on my depression and anxiety, addressing my heatlth and wellness, and growing myself as a person has all had a very postivie influence on my writing.

But here's a not-so-secret secret: I was afraid at first. I thought if I am not this moody snarky person, then who am I? If I am not depressed and bawling my eyes out when writing emotional scenes then they will not be any good.

Nope. Wrong.

After working on myself I can still access all of that AND THEN SOME. After doing some work on myself and really, truly examining my own fears and weaknesses, and growing my self-confidence, I was able to sit down and write one of the most raw, honest novels I've ever written. (Shh...it's not out yet.)

So H is for healing. Heal yourself. Step into your power. Then go create something amazing!

1 comment:

  1. Kaye, everything starts with yourself. IMO, you first make take care of yourself before you're any good to anyone else. I'm delighted you discovered these things about yourself and you're all the better for it. Thanks for visiting #AprilA2Z Art Sketching Through the Alphabet Letter "H" + #4M. I hope you'll decide to come by for a peek at today's A2Z post on "Curious as a Cathy"! Happy a2zing!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your musings :)