Monday, April 3, 2017

Belief: good for your mental health AND your writing career


 


April A to Z Blogging Challenge, hosted here.

My theme this year is exploring the link between mental health and creativity. See my stance on this here.

B is for Belief

The most powerful thing you can develop to help you recover from depression and anxiety is belief. You have to BELIEVE there is more for you than the way you've been living. You have to BELIEVE you can get better.

Much the same way a writer has to just WRITE. You have to believe that what you are writing is worth the time an energy, the blood, sweat and tears-- and that some other human being will want to read it when you're done.

I think that in this area, mental health are so closely intertwined. For me a lack of self-worth, and a lack of faith than anything I could ever do would be good enough, or would ever work to get me out of the dark pit I was in was at the heart of my mood issues. By working on that dilligently, feeding myself positive stories from other inspiring survivors, working on my self-esteem, and my basic belief in MYSELF and my own power... that was the number one thing that has moved me forward. Without building that resource, I would still be wallowing in pity and victim mentality and thinking it would never get better.

As that belief in myself began to grow, my belief in myself in other areas grew as well. I began to believe I could write that book. Publish it, do that next big thing.

And I think it was a cycle with one area feeding the other. As my belief in my ability to take control of my mental health grew, it fed into my belief in my creativity. And as my belief in my creativity grew, it fed into my belief in myself as a human being, etc.

Give yourself a gift today. The single most valuable thing you may ever do. Find a way to BELIEVE in yourself. In your own power to make a difference in whatever area of your life is lacking. Once you prove to yourself you can do it in one small area, then you will realize you can do anything!

2 comments:

  1. I believe, I believe, I believe...mostly!

    I will definitely be following your A to Z Challenge posts!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your musings :)