Friday, September 16, 2016

Random Book Review- The Lightning-Struck Heart



I cannot even begin to tell you how in love I am with this book I just finished, The Lightning-Struck Heart by TJ Klune.

The main character (a 20 year old gay male wizard who quite often sounds like a 16 year old girl) spoke my language (yeah, I'm a 30-something mundane female... I might have issues).

I laughed out loud until tears streamed down my face EVERY SINGLE TIME I picked up this book, starting in the opening chapter when the main character and his gay unicorn argue over the top of the villain's monologue and completely ruin his triumphant gloating, an onward into the main character's reminiscing about the day his mentor found him in the slums, a scene involving pink boots made from succubus tears and the threat of exploding nipples.

The blub for the book sounds kind of confusing and doesn't, in my opinion, do the book justice. BUT: The humor is amazing (if you are into bad puns, sex jokes, and sarcasm--spoiler, I am.). And under all the humor is some really good writing and an awesome love story, even though I sometimes had to cover my face while roaring with laughter because...I just couldn't meet the main character's eyes anymore. Essentially it is this:

- a young wizard apprentice who is as awkward and embarrassing as he is powerful
- his two best friends- a gay unicorn without a horn and a half-human, half-giant who doesn't understand sarcasm
- his amazingly awkward crush on a certain dashing Knight Commander (who just got engaged to the crown prince...oops)
- General rollicking hilarity
- Heart-strings and feels.

I can't tell you how much I think you need to read this book right now. 
I will be patiently waiting for the next installment, which has been promised for 2017... and by patiently I mean: is it there yet, is it there yet? ISITTHEREYET?!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your musings :)