Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Random Book Review- Half A King by Joe Abercrombie

Book reviews aren't something I do often...if ever...on my blog. But I just enjoyed this so much I had to.

I want to preface this by saying that I am a romance/fantasy/paranormal/magic/adventure sort of girl. Straight up or "hard" fantasy usually isn't my thing. (Though I am a LOTR geek- but that predates being legally old enough to buy smutty books...) So it is amazing to me that it dawned on me to even try this book--let alone love it.

The thing that caught my attention when browsing in my local used book store was the beautiful cover.
Then I read the description- a one-handed weakling of a prince that everyone hates is suddenly king? Well, okay! I love an underdog.

But it was more than that. This book was engaging from the beginning to end. It is full of twists and turns, and watching the main character grow into a "deep cunning man" is absolutely amazing. I won't say too much more because I don't want to ruin the plot. Just read it!

I would have liked more romance... .but that's just me.

I thought the twists were well over by the last chapter, but the author kept me going "What?!" til the last page. Wonderfully executed.

And even better, if you are daunted by fantasy- it isn't a long book, for it's genre, clocking in at just 345 pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your musings :)