Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Insecurities Now What?

Insecure Writers Support Group Day!  So, here are my current two insecurities:

1). What to work on next? I have so many ideas for projects, and many of them are in different genres, or have different feels. It's hard for me to decide where to go next, especially as an unpublished author.  I mean, it's not like I have anyone to give me advice, and it's not like I have a contract or obligation.  Really, I could write anything I want.  And that, my friends is scary.  So, for now, do I continue to focus on my adult books, or try my hand at the young adult book idea I have in the back of my head?  I mean everyone is doing young adult right now... but my idea is just SO COOL...

2). In addition, the two projects I am trying to decide between both have series potential.  Do I follow one endeavor through till the end, or bounce around between projects? (ie: complete one book in each series?)

Of course, I already know my answer to both questions, but I want to know that my approach is right (ha, ha). How do other writers go about this? How do you decide where to go next?




7 comments:

  1. Follow your heart, I know cheesy answer! :) There are many people that successfully switch between book series, my best example would be Laurell K Hamilton. She writes an Anita book then moves onto Merry, sometimes overlapping her writing time. Love your ending quote!
    -MJ here from the support group
    http://creativelyspiltink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think you have to listen to the voice inside that tells you which one is best for you, not the one that will most profitable. Once you establish yourself as an author, it's darn near impossible to switch genres. YA is hot right now, but then again, there is way more competition in YA. Adult fiction isn't so hot, but it's rock steady. You need to follow your dream after you figure out what that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one you feel strongest about. Although I speak as someone who's never had to choose between two ideas. My ideas line up very neatly... or, rather, I have to drag an idea - any idea - out of the burning pits of hell. Good luck with whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go through this all of the time. I have five different projects going on right now but lowered it down to editing my novel and writing another one. It's tough to decide, especially if you're easily bored or distracted, like me. Thanks for the heads up on critique.org, I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Madison. I don't know if the typo was on my end or yours : critters.org :)
      I never let myself work on two things at once. I always make myself finish a rough draft before even outlining the new one. I don't want to be caught in a cycle of never finishing anything- that being said, I am NEVER short of ideas. Ever. I literally dream them up.
      Kudos to you for being able to juggle!

      Delete
  5. Choose the one that makes you feel passionate. Both my WIP are the first in a series. The romance is a trilogy (using characters introduced in the first book). The mystery will be a series set in the same area with many of the same characters (more of a cozy mystery).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go with the one that makes you excited right now. We all have lots of ideas bopping around in our heads, but if you try to force yourself to do one that your muse isn't wanting to do, it won't make either of you happy.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your musings :)