Friday, April 27, 2012

X is for Xiang Shi

Xiang Shi - A Chinese vampire.

Okay, if you know me, you were wondering why V wasn't for vampire.  I just had to at least attempt to change it up a bit. 

I ran down a dark corridor, my bare feet silent on the cool, smooth marble.  There was a soft, flickering light at the end of the hallway, seeming millions of miles away.  I was chilled, and my billowy white nightgown fluttered and floated around me as I ran.  I wasn't scared, not really, but I was lost.  If I could only reach that warm light, I could find my way.  

My breathing was loud in the darkness, each breath rising like steam.  Goosebumps rippled over my skin.  I was close to the light, almost there.  I reached the end of the hallway, slowing as I pushed open a big, carved wooden door.  A dark figure was standing by a fireplace, his shape a backlit shadow against the warm glow.  The shadow held out it's hand.  A deep, compelling voice called my name.  Shuddering, I slipped my own pale hand into that of the shadow.

My eyes fluttered open.  My breathing still filled the room, as if I had been running down that long corridor.  A cool night breeze drifted in through the open window to caress my bare arms, raising goosebumps- but then, that might have been the shadow.  It was there, he was there, standing by my bed.  I pushed myself up against the headboard and flipped on my little bedside lamp.  His features were stark, the lines and angles of nose and jaw sharper and more distinct in the depths of the shadows cast by my little light.  

The bed sagged as placed a knee there to lean toward me.  I met him eagerly, wrapping my arms around his neck, raking my fingers through his glossy black hair as his lips found my throat.  The darkness of his aura washed over me, beautiful as a black, starlit night.   I sighed as he sank his teeth, welcoming the darkness into my bed. 

Okay, yeah, so I'm mixing cultures... but I love Vampire Knight artwork!

3 comments:

  1. Some beautiful imagery, Kaye. Thanks for the X post that was unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture, and your story to of course--as always. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your musings :)