Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Kim Harrison- How to do it With Grace

Yesterday I attended the kick-off book signing for one of my all time favorite urban fantasy authors Kim Harrison. The newest book in her Hallows series, A Perfect Blood, is out now.  I really love this series, and I've been following it for years.  One of the things that I have been impressed with from the very beginning is Ms. Harrison's connection and devotion to her fans.  She has a wonderful website that has all kinds of fun gems on it related to her books- not just the basic info, but things like lists of songs that remind her of the character, drawings of one character's tattoo, even recipes for food that they eat in the books.  To me all of this just shows that she truly loves what she creates, just as all of her fans do.  It is possible to become completely immersed in the world of the Hallows, and I think this is why (aside from her wonderful story telling) she has such a devoted family of fans.  Watching them at the signing, it was just amazing to see that camaraderie.
I was already a huge fan, but after actually meeting Ms. Harrison in person, I'm even more impressed.  She has been writing (ie: actually published) for over ten years, has wonderful sales, and a bunch of adoring fans, and yet she is sweet, genuine, gracious and patient.  She answered every question, signed every item, posed for every picture, and all with warmth and sincerity.  I think she is a perfect example of what every writer should strive for.  Not only successful writing, but sharing what you love with others- and loving it.
I was number 94 in the que, but was treated as if I were the first one of the night.  What a professional!

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to meet Kim in person, but I have spoken to her over email. She struck me as being a great person.

    I also love the Hallows and I am a big Rachel fan.
    So far I like A Perfect Blood a lot, but I am only half-way through it.

    I have a bunch of posts about Rachel, Ivy and Jenks over at my own blog if you want to take a look. http://timbrannan.blogspot.com/search/label/hollows

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your musings :)