Saturday, February 6, 2016

E-Book Piracy

Life on the the high seas.

Or, not.

This week I've discovered two sites at which entire copies of my e-books were being provided for free without my permission. While I'm all for free stuff, this is understandably irksome. I am realistic enough to not spend the next week of my life on some sort of crusade--I'd rather spend the time writing, even if it makes me no money *cough, jackasses, cough*.  But I did want to put this out there so that any of my other independent author friends who don't have people working at big companies whose job it is to take care of these things can be aware. Both sites have removed my work upon request, one via a form, the other via me sending them a cease and desist e-mail--neither with an apology or explanation as to where they obtained my work nor on what planet they think this is okay.

End rant.

If you are an author and want to make sure you are not also sailing the high seas --argh matey-- you might want to look at the sites. Or just google your author name and/or work and see what pops up (that's how I stumbled across this).  Happy sailing.

1) Novelhere.com - there is not contact form, but an e-mail address a the bottom of the page
2) ebookbike.com - click your book, go down to the bottom right and click on DCRM and there is a form to fill out asking for immediate removal, which is ACTUALLLY immediate.

Now, enough of this seriousness. I can't stand it. I'm going back to the fun part of writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your musings :)