Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Insecure Writers Support Group- Give Yourself Some Credit!

Wednesday is Insecure Writers Support Group day!  It's time for us writery types to gather round, share our insecurities, and take comfort in the fact that no, you are not the only one who feels like (insert random degrading thought here).
I'm in the mood for a little empowerment at the moment.  So I won't whine about my insecurities this time (as much....).  In my experience, we writery types tend to put way too much pressure on ourselves.  Sure I just finished editing that book and e-pubbed it, but I'm so focused on the fifteen million things I've just gotta do next, that I didn't pause to give myself credit.  Deadlines!  There are deadlines people!! (in my head)
If you are feeling down about writing (editing, finishing that novel, getting bad reviews, getting your 50,000th rejection letter...) remember all the amazing things you've accomplished thus far:

1) You got out of bed today (I'm assuming).   Not only do you write, but you also drag yourself moaning from your mattress every day and take your sleep deprived butt to work (or to take care of the kids, or something productive).  Hell, maybe you even put on clothes.  (Though if you're still in your pajamas, more power to you!)

2) Many of you packed lunches, took the kids to school (okay, maybe not since it's summer...) or to their various activities for the day.  Barring that, you probably entertained said kids all day at the cost of life and limb.  Pretty awesome.

3)You worked (probably).  And what's more, you came home from work and at some point continued to pound on the keyboard for a while, tearing whatever shred of sanity was left right out of you.

4) You probably have a hobby.  And no, husband, writing is NOT a hobby.  I take dance classes (and practice once in a while), and I make jewelry.  So one day for me could consist of going to a very emotionally stressful job where I deal with traumatized people all day, making dinner and playing with the kid, entertaining the husband with my awesome (or terrible) sense of humor, practicing for dance class, filling a jewelry order, and then bleeding onto writing in a notebook (sometimes it's violent).

5) Despite all of this you manage not to die.  Seriously.  So this means you probably have some sort of awesome self-care rituals.  Personally I take a bunch of vitamins and herbs, meditate, and get acupuncture (when I can manage to afford it).   I also force myself to exercise.

6) Shit, I forgot all about mountain biking.   Maybe you do that too.

7) Maybe you also go to doctors appointments with chronically ill family members.

8) Despite all of that, you want to connect with other human beings.  You want to create amazing worlds of adventure, and mystery, and romance- and have those worlds come to life in someone else's mind.

9) What have you done this week?

See how amazing you are?!

Take that, insecurity!



21 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... I want to hug this post. Thank you for this! Totally made me laugh and nod my head in agreement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The post would like me to tell you that it wants to hug you also :0 Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent post! It can be so easy to focus on what we don't have or didn't accomplish that we completely overlook all the stuff we _did_ do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's easy to forget ourselves in all of this. I needed this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I think I'll work on knowing that I'm awesome because I'm not dead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I'm so glad you ended that statement with "the win" ;)

      Delete
  6. Really great post and I love #5. I need to get me one of those awesome self-care rituals! :)

    Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I really wish mine included a hot personal masseuse :D

      Delete
  7. Get off our own backs...I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I read this in a cranky old lady voice! Laughed out loud. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. *high-fives you back* Kaye, you are awesome for posting this list! I really needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I enjoyed your blog post as well. Seems like there is a theme this time around!

      Delete
  9. ***High frigging five to you***

    OMG you had me cracking up the whole way... I think I just develop a crush on your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. *developed... I was too darn excited lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heart this SO MUCH! So often, we obsess over our weaknesses and failures and neglect to celebrate our victories, which we should SO TOTALLY celebrate, no matter how small! Thanks for the reminder that we are absolutely entitled to toot our own horns! :-)
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kaye, this post is right on! When I'm feeling down about all the things I have yet to accomplish in my writing career I'll give myself props for all the other truly awesome things I have accomplished!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your musings :)