Monday, May 27, 2013

The Last Book In a Series

As a reader, I am filled with both anticipation and dread when I reach the end of a series.  On one hand, I obviously really  like the books because I've stuck with them long enough to read them all.   On the other hand, I'm always scared the series will end badly.  You know, as in not the way I wanted it to end.

Now as a writer, I get to control that ending.  You'd think that would be heaven, right?  Wrong.  I am putting the finishing touches on the last book in my Demon's Call saga.  This series is only three books long, but I'm really having trouble with book three.  Not that it was difficult to write.  Not that I don't like what I've got down, etc.  But I just can't seem to finish it.  Because... well, then it will be done.  

Once I publish this book there are no more.  I can't have some amazing idea and add it in to later books.  I can't go back and fill plot holes, or develop characters that I've grown to love.  The story is just done.  And for some reason, it's causing me anxiety! Does anyone else have this problem?  


4 comments:

  1. Well... It's as done as you want it to be. The main books might be over, but you can still write novellas with these characters, or have a light cross-over into other books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I'm still working on the first one in my own trilogy, I have thought of this before. I can imagine the anxiety and know I'll be right there with you when my time comes. But hey, there will be more ideas and more characters and you'll move on. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't understand this "done" of which you speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I know, difficult concept. Stick a fork in me :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your musings :)