Thursday, January 3, 2013

Socializing With Strangers- and Liking it?

Lately I've been thinking.  It's something I like to do from time to time :) My most recent musings have been related to the writerly community that abounds on-line, in various forms, social media, web-pages, query sites, etc. I love my fellow writers, and am constantly amazed at how much wisdom, understanding, and encouragement can be found in this pool of potentially competing people.  Sure, there's bitterness to be found, but so far I've encountered very little of that sort of thing as compared to all of the other positive stuff. We writers, we rock.

I've also found out that I love discovering random things that I have in common with my fellow writers.  I think some explanation is needed here.  I'm not a social person.  Don't get me wrong- I'm not a mouth breathing cave dweller- I can get along perfectly well with people.  My day job requires me to interact with people on a constant, never-ending basis, both in my office, in meetings, and out in the community at conferences and luncheons all while being respectable and "professional".  I can DO it.  I just don't enjoy it.  Maybe because I spend so much time being forced to interact interacting with people, quiet alone time is a treasure.  Given all of this, the enjoyment I get from interacting with my fellow writers is always a pleasant surprise- like a gift when it isn't even your birthday.

In realizing this, I've decided that my blog should include more of that.  While I started this thing to help me with writing (in so many ways), it's missing that really personal side, I think.  So I've decided to throw in some random personal posts that have nothing (at least directly) to do with writing.  I hope I'll get to know all my followers, and find out even more random things we have in common :)

This is a huge step for me, because I'm terrified that this will just result in a bunch of rambling nonsense that no one cares about.  Deep breath.  I guess we'll see.

Here are some random facts about me.  Do any of these apply to you?

1) I have a four year old daughter who is crazier than crazy and I wonder if we're not doing something wrong by encouraging the crazy rather than attempting to rein it in ;)

2) I have a perfectly wonderful career- that I really don't like.

3) I am somewhere between vegan and vegetarian (I eat eggs, but am allergic to dairy)- but don't expect me to be all crunchy granola.  I live on a budget, and I really love food.  Definitely not one of those whip-cord thin people chanting on a mountaintop. (glances at empty "cake in a mug" cup).

4) I take belly dance classes and love it- even though I laugh at myself every time I look in the mirror.

5) I am the proud mother of three cats and a dog who thinks she's a cat.  Maybe she was a cat in a past life.

6) I am an amateur mountain biker (ie: trails with hills rider).

7) I read manga.  A lot.  Which is kind of embarrassing for a 30 year old woman.  But hey,  that's me :)

8) I am currently addicted to words with friends and rolled eggs with rice.


4 comments:

  1. You are not alone! I too have a great job that I enjoy, but I would much rather be doing something else (i.e. writing).

    While I haven't read much manga, I do have a weakness for graphic novels, which is kind of in the same ballpark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate, Kaye! Sometimes the pleasure of peace and quiet, the not having to talk to anyone for a while is bliss. I'm not a hermit I just need my own head space sometimes. Look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to mountain bike every weekend. Loved it! I'm afraid an injury keeps me from it now. Enjoy it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lara- I also enjoy graphic novels. There are a few in my suggested reading list. Loved Holly Black Kith, Kin, and Kind. At least those I can say are for a more adult audience;)

    Suzanne- Some days hermit sounds good too....

    Clara- That stinks! Hopefully that injury wasn't incurred while biking, and hopefully it doesn't keep you from doing something else as fun and good for you :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your musings :)