Sunday, March 18, 2012

Critters

Today I had two interactions with writers from Critters, the critique group I participate in.  It was a boost I really needed, as I am currently in the midst of finishing one novel while waiting for responses on agent queries on another novel.  I've reached that point of low energy/motivation that, for me, tends to creep in about half-way through a novel (I'm at about 47,000 words and am aiming for 70-80k). I think this lull is being exacerbated by the limited response to my queries (and my impatience surrounding that whole endeavor).  That being said, I got some really positive responses to the first two chapters of my current WIP, which was a huge boost.

I mention this because, this time around, I am finding the critique group to be very helpful.  For my first novel, I wrote the critique thing off as not helpful.  For every piece of solid advice, I received another piece of conflicting advice.  I also felt like my readers weren't "getting" my story, but wasn't sure if it was them, or just bad writing.  Now granted, it was my first attempt at writing an novel, and it was a world that was a huge concept.  However, I think my audience was the issue.  The genre- urban fantasy with lots of romance- didn't seem to fit either in the typical sci-fi/fantasy or the standard romance areas.  Since the book was peopled largely with supernatural creatures, I went with sci-fi/fantasy.  A lot of men read my novel.  No offense to men, and I definitely appreciate the time my fellow critters put in, but I wanted some females to read.  I think it would have gone over better. 

This time around, my novel is paranormal romance, so I went with the romance group.  It has been a good choice and a good fit.  The feedback is valuable, and the readers "get it." Even if they don't think the writing is solid, they generally know where I'm trying to go with it.

I think that it is worth the time to find a critique group that is a good fit for you and your work.  If the group isn't right for you, it can do more harm than good, and leave you feeling conflicted, confused, and lost with your project- it can make you doubt yourself.  But if the group is a good fit, it can give you insight, make you look at your work a different way, and give you the confidence to continue doing what you do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your musings :)